Welcome to my Web site.
I am a non-profit manager and fundraiser with experience in education and social justice organizations and a background that also includes writing, editing, freelance web design, and college teaching.
My experience includes the following:
- Operations Director; Knoxville Montessori School; Knoxville, TN; 2009-present. Responsibilities include: managing the school's staff and budget; coordinating enrollment and parent relations; ensuring compliance with local and state regulations; and working with the staff, Board, and parent volunteers to develop and implement long-range plans, special projects, and fundraising campaigns. For more information about KMS, click here.
- Freelance Writer, Editor, Web Designer and Fundraiser; Knoxville, TN - 2009-2010. Clients included the Appalachian Community Fund (foundation outreach and proposal writing), the Highlander Research and Education Center (website and blog updates, e-newsletter preparation, and technology support), the International Association for the History of Religions (manuscript preparation and editing), Knoxville Montessori School (creation of a new website using Joomla CMS), and Save Our Cumberland Mountains (foundation outreach and proposal writing).
- 75th Anniversary Capital Campaign Coordinator and Webmaster, Highlander Research and Education Center; New Market, TN - 2003-2009. Coordinated Phase I of Highlander’s 75th Anniversary Capital Campaign and assisted with foundation and individual-donor fundraising for Highlander’s annual budget. Coordinated plans for upgrading and expanding Highlander’s facilities, including the renovation of the Horton House and the addition of an accessible bathroom and a wheelchair lift to the Workshop Center. Designed, coordinated, and wrote content for Highlander’s website, blog and e-newsletter.
- Freelance Web Designer; Knoxville, TN - 2000-2004. Clients included Church Street United Methodist Church, the Knoxville-Oak Ridge Regional Network, the Highlander Center, and the following departments and programs at the University of Tennessee: Department of History, Department of English, Initiative for Global Studies, Medieval and Renaissance Curriculum and Outreach Project, and Women's Studies Program.
- Managing Editor, Soundings: An Interdisciplinary Journal; University of Tennessee; Knoxville, TN - 1996-2003. Coordinated editing and production of Soundings, an interdisciplinary journal in the humanities and social sciences with over 1,700 subscribers.
- Instructor, Department of English and American Studies Program; University of Tennessee; Knoxville, TN - 1990-2001. Developed and taught freshman, sophomore, and upper division writing and literature courses, as well as interdisciplinary courses on American history and culture.
- Adjunct Instructor, Department of English; City College of New York; New York, NY. 1984-1990. Taught Basic Writing and Freshman Composition courses.
- Foundation and Organizational Consultant; New York, NY - 1980-1984. Provided writing, editing, fundraising, project management, and project evaluation services to a variety of nonprofit organizations and foundations. Clients included the J. C. Penney Foundation, Joint Foundation Support, the New World Foundation, and the Norman Foundation.
- Director, Eastern Field Office, The Youth Project; Washington, DC - 1977-1979. Supervised a staff of four in two office (Washington DC and Knoxville, TN) that provided seed funding, fundraising support, and technical assistance to grassroots community organizing projects in the Northeast and Appalachia.
- Proposal Writer and Eastern Field Representative, The Youth Project; Washington, DC - 1974-1977.
A copy of my resume is available here [PDF, 28KB].