Welcome to my Web site.
I am a writer, editor, nonprofit manager, and fundraiser with experience in education and social justice organizations and a background that also includes web design and college teaching.
My experience includes the following:
- Director; Knoxville Montessori School; Knoxville, TN; 2009-2017. Coordinated the work of the Knoxville Montessori School (KMS), a nonprofit private school that provides high-quality Montessori education to children from preschool through 5th grade. Managed KMS's operations, including recruitment, parent relations, setting and tracking the school's budget, and ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. Worked with the KMS staff, Board, and parent volunteers to develop and implement long-range plans and special projects. Coordinated marketing and outreach efforts that increased KMS's enrollment by almost 30% - from 57 students in 2009-2010 to 74 in 2017-2018. Planned and coordinated fundraising campaigns that raised over $500,000 for facilities upgrades and financial aid. Established and administered a need-based financial aid program that provided up to 50% of tuition to 20%-25% of our students each year. Coordinated critical facilities upgrades that including renovating the school's classrooms, adding new bathrooms for students and staff, creating a new hallway to improve circulation in the building, and upgrading the playground to create a more natural play space.
- Freelance Writer, Editor, Web Designer and Fundraiser; Knoxville, TN - 2009-2010. Provided writing, editing, web design, and fundraising services to nonprofit organizations in East Tennessee. Clients included the Appalachian Community Fund (foundation outreach and proposal writing), the Highlander Research and Education Center (website and blog updates, e-newsletter preparation, and technology support), the International Association for the History of Religions (manuscript preparation and editing), Knoxville Montessori School (creation of a new website using Joomla CMS), and Save Our Cumberland Mountains (foundation outreach and proposal writing).
- 75th Anniversary Capital Campaign Coordinator and Webmaster, Highlander Research and Education Center; New Market, TN - 2003-2009. Served as a fundraiser, writer, and web designer for Highlander, which provides popular education training and support to social justice activitists in Appalachia and the South. Coordinated Phase I of Highlander’s 75th Anniversary Capital Campaign and assisted with foundation and individual-donor fundraising for Highlander’s annual budget. Coordinated upgrading and expanding Highlander’s facilities, including the renovation of the Horton House and the addition of an accessible bathroom and a wheelchair lift to the Workshop Center. Designed and wrote content for Highlander’s website, blog and e-newsletter.
- Freelance Web Designer; Knoxville, TN - 2000-2004. Clients included Church Street United Methodist Church, the Knoxville-Oak Ridge Regional Network, the Highlander Center, and the following departments and programs at the University of Tennessee: Department of History, Department of English, Initiative for Global Studies, Medieval and Renaissance Curriculum and Outreach Project, and Women's Studies Program.
- Managing Editor, Soundings: An Interdisciplinary Journal; University of Tennessee; Knoxville, TN - 1996-2003. Coordinated editing and production of Soundings, an interdisciplinary journal in the humanities and social sciences with over 1,700 subscribers.
- Instructor, Department of English and American Studies Program; University of Tennessee; Knoxville, TN - 1990-2001. Developed and taught freshman, sophomore, and upper division writing and literature courses, as well as interdisciplinary courses on American history and culture.
- Adjunct Instructor, Department of English; City College of New York; New York, NY. 1984-1990. Taught Basic Writing and Freshman Composition courses.
- Foundation and Organizational Consultant; New York, NY - 1980-1984. Provided writing, editing, fundraising, and program evaluation services to a variety of nonprofit organizations and foundations. Clients included the J. C. Penney Foundation, Joint Foundation Support, the New World Foundation, and the Norman Foundation.
- Director, Eastern Field Office, The Youth Project; Washington, DC - 1977-1979. Supervised a staff of four in two office (Washington DC and Knoxville, TN) that provided seed funding, fundraising support, and technical assistance to grassroots community organizing projects in the Northeast and Appalachia.
- Proposal Writer and Eastern Field Representative, The Youth Project; Washington, DC - 1974-1977.
A copy of my resume is available here.